Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Noteworthy Saturday

Living in the Real World...


I read a book by the name of Nappily Ever After by Trisha R. Thomas. The book is part of a series where the main character goes through a lot of emotional changes as her marriage begins to collaspe. In the story she says the following "Daydreaming was for sissies, people who didn't have the guts to move with the ebb and flow of real life. The daily drudge was too offensive to deal with so they checked out in their fantasies to change the past or future." I thought that was a fairly powerful statement.

The thoughts that have been resinating in my life are thoughts about living in the real world. In my opinion, we like to believe that we are not just spending our days daydreaming. We want to believe that we are productive citizens who make a difference in  our community. But, I sometimes think that Vegans and Christians can be the ultimate idealist. We want a peaceful world, where everyone believes what we believe.

I've been reminded through various events that we live in a real world. A world where there are sometimes compromise. When the Humane Society of the United States backed laws that gave chickens larger cages, many animal activists were outraged. Activists want to end the "slavery" of animals. I wasn't happy at first either, but then I remember that for a long time people will continue to eat chicken. Some people don't have any issue using the chickens for food. Although it would be nice to deter these people from eating chickens, the process is long and arduous. Why not let the chickens that are going to go to slaughter, those living in this world now, have a tiny bit better existence while they're here. Until we can make more progress on consuming less chicken or none at all. Living in the real world.

I think it's important to have daydreams. Idealism to move toward a goal. But, Christians and Vegans live in a real world where people don't always see eye to eye. I hope to curb my idealism a little bit and focus on reality. No, not giving up or compromising the wrong things. Just changing my perspective to be able to walk in another's shoes.


Peace, Vegan Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment