Pages

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Noteworthy Saturday

A Touch of Magic...



As you know I love to read. Whether it is the bible, a cozy mystery, romance, vegan literature, the occasional magazine, all about cats, online news articles etc. etc. etc. there is always something interesting to read to grow and entertain your mind.

What I thought was interesting are all the books that are being published that have some sort of take on the supernatural (unable to be explained by science or the laws of nature), magic and witchcraft. Hmm... Why are so many people interested in this topic? Yes, I know that this topic is not new and is has been prevalent over the centuries. I do think it experiences a resurgence every now and then. I will admit, I was actually disturbed by the amount of chick lit books that have characters who bewitch people or interact with ghosts. The books run the gamut.

I decided to look up the definition of magic in the Merriam Webster dictionary:

1a: the use of means (as charms or spells) believed to have supernatural power over natural forces b: magic rites or incantations
2a: an extraordinary power or influence seemingly from a supernatural source b: something that seems to cast a spell : enchantment
3: the art of producing illusions by sleight of hand 

I could go on and on with more definitions of the words such as spell, rites and incantations. But, what struck me was the word enchantment. The word means to be influenced by, attracted to or to hold the attention of. Mix enchantment with magic and you are creating a whole new world of perception.

I think magic can be fascinating. To think that there is something or someone with supernatural powers is unique. In my opinion, God is supernatural. Angels are supernatural. Demons are supernatural. I often consider those of us who are Christians who choose to believe in a loving, yet jealous God compared to those who choose to believe in demonic, malevolent forces. Why do we do such things? Because we have seen the power of our choice? I see how God cares for me, shapes me, and guides me and sometimes we are not necessarily in agreement, but I know that he loves me.

Note: Okay Christians don't go getting mad at me for using the word magic when I speak about God. No I do not think God is a mystic, a wizard or a genie in a bottle. No, I don't think he cast spells over us to control or enchant us. But he has done some magical things. Whether creating a flower, parting the Red Sea or producing a hand that writes on a wall (Daniel 5:5), God has done some pretty supernatural stuff.

Then there are those who follow malevolent beings or the dark arts. Think Harry Potter... Now I know I'm picking sides. There are a lot categories in between. But, I find it interesting what people choose to believe. It's like people are searching for something greater than themselves. The comfort of a "leader/parent figure" who is there for them and who is more poweful than ourselves. Somebody's got to be in control right? If you choose to follow any supernatural being there is magic in daily life. Whether a miracle of Gods healing and help or the conjuring of demonic power. You will see magic in various forms.

What are your thoughts on magic?

Peace, Vegan Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment