Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

For the Love of Alpaca...

Cyber Fyber Monday


Copyright 2012 All Rights Reserved

As I go on my journey to be a vegan fiber artist I recently experienced a personal and possibly ethical "snag". Alpaca. Those beautiful creatures whose eyes seem to read your soul. I thought to myself, well I know a person who raises Alpaca and they treat their Alpaca very well. I could still use the fiber since it's basically combed or brushed from the animal's coat. But then I read the article by Peaceful Prairie Sanctuary (located in Colorado). Here is the article:  http://peacefulprairie.blogspot.com/2012/01/willows-whisper-to-world.html

Reading this article changed everything. I couldn't personally justify using the animal's hair for my projects. I felt that it was not mine to use as a commodity. I didn't want to give sellers the idea that I would purchase Alpaca fiber. As I always say, " When you hit a business in the wallet, then they will listen." I will enjoy those beautiful creatures with my eyes instead. You may have other thoughts(I get it), but this is the path I thought best for me.

Peace, Vegan Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment